Great British Menu takeover by Chef Dave Critchley at Lu Ban
About The Event
The Great British Takeover with Chef Dave Critchley
After starring in the BBC’s Great British Menu for its 17th series, for one night only, Chef Dave Critchley is serving up his incredible menu for you to judge for yourself at Lu Ban. So mark Wednesday 23rd February 2022 at 6pm in your diary now and book in for a wonderful evening of fabulous food and service.
Drawing inspiration from Liverpool’s broadcasting legends and shows, you’ll find an amazing menu with stunning flavour. Lu Ban Restaurant serves Chinese dishes from the Tianjin region, so this exclusive dining experience with dramatic local influence of the GBM theme is one not to miss!
The six course tasting menu reflects Dave’s dishes from the BBC Two show. As well as preparing your culinary delights in the kitchen, Dave will engage with you and tell you all about his experiences and dishes from the Great British Menu show.
- From Childwall to Tianjin – Traditional Hot and Sour Baby Vegetable Soup. A real favourite from the Lu Ban menu, it’s bold, a real tastebud tingler! it reflects Dave’s journey over the last two years and is influenced by the food of the Tianjin region.
- Surprisingly Cilla – Master Stock braised Pork Belly and Compressed Watermelon. Cilla was a lover of Chinese food especially pork dishes (according to her sons), this dish is a symbol of Cilla’s amazing TV success especially surprise surprise, the dish is influenced by ‘black, white and the smoke and mirrors of showbiz’.
- Try it Yourself! – British Trout ‘Toban Jang’, choi sum, spring onion oil, soy and crispy fish skin. Influenced by Neil Buchanan born in Aintree Liverpool, and Chef Dave’s training as an artist! This dish reflects the creativity of the TV show Art Attack, the art/presentation of the finished dish is influenced by eye of the guest, each dish plated on the day will be an individual piece of artwork.
- ‘A Right Royal Night In’ – This is a celebration of the Royal Variety Performance and the Liverpudlians who’ve starred in the show! Seared Fillet of Blackened Short Horn Beef, lemongrass and chilli pak choi, truffle and duck egg fried rice and black pepper sauce. Influenced by the Royal Variety Show and a Critchley Chinese take away!
- A bit of ‘Brooky’ – Cherry lips and ‘a lovers kiss’ Baijiu cocktail. Influenced by the first lesbian pre-watershed kiss on TV, and more special to Dave as he was an extra on the show.
- Doddy’s Diddy Butty Mine – Jam butty Doddy style! Broken biscuit ice cream, lychee, shisho and raspberry.
Influenced by the mines discovered in 1627 by Sir Dingle Jetty, from Notty Ash who sadly died when he fell in a vat screaming “Heaven preserve us”.
Chef Dave’s Great British Menu is priced at £100 per person and you can book now.
Lu Ban Bar and Restaurant is a stunning restaurant with private dining rooms. If you’re looking for an elegant dining experience with beautifully crafted dishes, this is the dining experience for you.
Lu Ban serves Chinese dishes inspired by the Tianjin region. Chef Dave Critchley leads a team of chefs to create fabulous food, and a front of house team to deliver excellent service.
We are located in Cains Brewery Village, in the Baltic area of Liverpool. You’ll find access to the restaurant through the courtyard next to Punch Tarmey’s (and opposite Mann Street).
Lu Ban, Cains Brewery Village, Stanhope Street, Liverpool, L8 5XJ. 0151 315 8888.